Friday, February 10, 2017

Alpaca Herd

Hi gang!  When Jess told me what digital stamp I was going to have for this month, I got so excited! Then once I saw it the ideas just started streaming through my head!!  I'm going to share with you my Jess Crafts Digitals DT project featuring the newest digi....Alpaca!!  Yes, Alpaca.  And it is SO darn cute!  I'm just going to jump right in and show you my project.


I'm squealing even now!  These guys are the cutest ever!  I don't know about you but I frequently need to have birthday cards available.  A lot of times they are from us as a family so I really wanted something from "us" instead of "I".  So I looked online to see what a group of Alpacas was called.  A herd.  Well, the puns just started flowing but this was the very first one I had and I went with it.  

The new digi comes with two different versions of the Alpaca.  One with presents and one without.  I had to brush up on my editing skills a bit but I was able to make a few different sized Alpacas.  As well as flipping a couple and getting them all grouped how I wanted.  I printed the grouping out onto 80lb Neenah Solar White as I knew I was going to be using my Copics to color them in.

I had played around on another piece of paper to decide what colors I wanted to use.  The really awesome thing about Alpacas?  They come in so many different colors!  I chose three different color groupings and got busy.  Then I moved on to the saddles and presents.  I just used a few colors across the saddles and presents so it didn't get too overwhemling.  

Now they needed something to stand on.  At first I thought about just putting some shading underneath of them.  I wasn't overly pleased with that so I grabbed a bunch of green Copics and laid down some base color.  A little hill here, a little hill there and throw in lots of grass in various shades. Here's where I got a little stuck.  I didn't know if I should leave the rest of the background white or if it needed color.  And if it needed color, then which?  I decided I wasn't thrilled with the white so leaving it plain was out.  Then I had a vision in my head of a sunny (yellow) sky blending down into blue sky.  I started at the top with very pale yellows and brought in some very pale blues.  I knew I wasn't going to get a seamless blend so i streaked the yellow down into the blue.  Envisioning (at least in my head) that they were streaks of sunlight.  I blended the blue all the way down into the grass.  I'm not sure how realistic the sky is but I am happy!

I cut it out with a scalloped rectangle die and mounted it onto a dark gray card base.  I love the sentiments Jess has with this set but I need something using "we" so I made my own sentiment.  I even played around and figured out how to add a "stitched" frame around it.  Yay me!  I took it one step further by running it through my mini Minc with some lovely green foil.  Put it on a gray piece of cardstock and adhered with foam tape.  Voila!

I really had a lot of fun creating my project to share and I hope you like it too!  You can find Jess's shop on etsy right HERE.  Remember, she has a price break on her new releases!  You certainly can't beat the price!!

Hope to see you again soon!
~Kristina

No comments:

Post a Comment